Combining the best attributes of the world’s finest high-performance machines for air and ground, Ford’s design team created a Ford F-22 F-150 Raptor based on the U.S. Air Force’s Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor fighter jet for auction at AirVenture Oshkosh. The one-of-a-kind truck fetched $300,000 for the Experimental Aircraft Association Gathering of Eagles – an organization and an event committed to aviation and encouraging youth involvement in flight.
The F-22 F-150 Raptor was purchased by Gary Ackerman of Gaudin Ford in Las Vegas, Nevada. The vehicle has found the perfect home in that Ackerman serves as Honorary Commander/Ambassador for the United States Airforce’s F-22 Squadron at Nellis Airforce Base in Nevada.
Ford design manager Melvin Betancourt and Ford Performance led design and engineering of the F-22 F-150 Raptor. Our job – both in the air and on the ground – is to intimidate the competition, said Betancourt. The money we raised will enable Young Eagles to reach for the skies as well.
F-150 Raptor is the ultimate high-performance off-road truck – the toughest, smartest, most capable Raptor ever. Delivering 450 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque, Raptor’s exclusive Terrain Management System gives it superior agility.
Nicole Rush, Ford designer, and the Ford design fabrication team headed up interior enhancements. With the loftiest of expectations for unrivaled care and precision, building the F-22 F-150 Raptor was entrusted to Brad and Doug DeBerti at internationally renowned DeBerti Design. Betancourt says Ford could not have asked for a more purposeful execution of its vision than what the DeBerti team accomplished.
Few things are as streamlined, as gloriously intimidating as the shape, metallic color and sinister speed a fighter jet represents, said Betancourt. The simple, extreme functionality of the cockpit alone proved inspiring, prompting the team to create matte finishes, purposeful gauges, controls for ready proximity and dramatic LED lighting for the instrument panel.
Todd Eckert, Ford truck group marketing manager, said the F-22 F-150 Raptor celebrates the fighter jet’s dominance of the skies and the consistent leadership of F-Series on the ground. “Our long-standing commitment to Young Eagles encourages new talent to enter the world of flight, while highlighting the freedom, power, speed and agility shared by the Ford F-150 Raptor and the F-22 Raptor fighter jet,” he added.
Highlights of the Ford F-22 F-150 Raptor include:
- Whipple-intercooled, high-output 3.5-liter twin-turbo EcoBoostÂ® making 545 horsepower and 660 lb.-ft. of torque â€“ taking off-road performance to intimidating new levels
- Modified Addictive Desert Design front suspension and bump stop kit
- Deaver rear spring pack to provide a smooth, progressive suspension
- Fox bypass series shocks with adjustable compression and rebound valving to customize damping for on-road and off-road use
- Innov8 Racing custom forged beadlock wheels with Falcon Wildpeak tires
- Upgraded Alcon six-piston painted calipers, oversized rotors, high-friction pads
- Modular off-road 1.3-million candela LED lighting system by KC Hilites
- Kicker audio system with 1,500 watts of amplification
- Unique Sherwin-Williams exterior paint integrating F-22 Raptor jet cues including titanium grille with front silhouette of the aircraft; jet cues featured on the interior as well
- Amp Research power retracting steps
- DeBerti two-tire, gas and ProEagle jack holder
- LineX sprayed bedliner
- All-stainless-steel cat-back Borla exhaust system with carbon fiber tips
- DeBerti carbon fiber fender flares, hood and fender vents
- Paint hand-cut and polished to a mirror finish by Independent Detail